Southeastern Community College (SCC) is committed to providing its employees and students with a safe and healthful environment. SCC recognizes the use of tobacco products on campus grounds is detrimental to the health and safety of students, staff, faculty and visitors. SCC also recognizes that it has the legal authority to prohibit tobacco use pursuant to G.S. 143-599. (Policy 2.09)
Based on Southeastern Community College Board of Trustees approval (November 2009), the college has established the 100 percent tobacco free campus policy to be implemented on August 1, 2010.
- Use of tobacco is prohibited by students, staff, faculty or visitors in all campus buildings, facilities or Property owned or leased by SCC and in vehicles that are the property of the college.
- For the purposes of this policy, tobacco is defined as any type of tobacco product including, but not limited to: cigarettes, cigars, cigarillos, pipes, bidis, hookahs, smokeless or spit tobacco or snuff which includes smoking, chewing, dipping or any other use of tobacco products. This policy also applies to e-cigarettes or any product simulating smoking instruments.
- The sale or free distribution of tobacco products, including merchandise, on campus or at college events is prohibited.
- Student organizations are prohibited from accepting money or gifts from tobacco companies, including: a. Parties sponsored by tobacco companies and allowing them to distribute free, reduced-price, or fully priced tobacco products (t-shirts, hats, etc.) on campus. b. All tobacco advertising, such as billboards and signs in/on athletic facilities owned and operated by SCC.
- Tobacco advertisements are prohibited in college-run publications and on grounds or facilities, including athletic facilities, owned or operated by SCC.
- SCC will provide accessible resources for tobacco cessation programs. These tobacco cessation programs shall be publicized in student, faculty and staff publications, emails, through the SCC website, student services, and other appropriate means.